A Winchester Park fortress it seems, as 22-time champions St George’s reigned supreme at home and made light work of Innswood High in their ISSA/FLOW Manning Cup return match yesterday.St George’s whipped their rivals 5-0 to move to the top of Group C with a superior goal difference.”We wanted this,” St George’s coach Neville Bell said. Innswood had beaten St George’s 2-1 at home when the teams met earlier this season.The heroes for the North Street-based school were Alex Marshall, who slammed in a hat-trick, while captain Shevon Stewart overcame a first-half penalty miss to score twice.Marshall’s goals came in the second, 67th and 90th minutes. He is now Manning Cup’s leading marksman with 10 goals, while Stewart has four.Marshall, however, does not believe there is an over-reliance on him to score.”Not really, all I do is just go out there and make use of the opportunities. I don’t know how many I will get (goals this season); it’s up to God,” said the diminutive player.Goalkeeper Tajay Griffiths of Innswood had a good game. He pulled off a penalty save and what could be save of the season to deny Stephon Gilzene from close range.”St George’s really came out and played for this game … and pushed us,” Innswood’s assistant coach, Kemar Foster, said.Yesterday’s resultsGROUP BHydel 2 Papine 0Dunoon 1 Greater Portmore 1Cumberland 0 Haile Selassie 2GROUP CEltham 2 Kingston Technical 0St George’s 5 Innswood 0Denham Town 0 Ardenne 2GROUP FJonathan Grant 3 Ascott 1Spanish Town 1 Norman Manley 1Excelsior 2 Vauxhall 1
OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Thunder thump Cavs, keep LeBron shy of 30,000 points OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier, left, taunts Volkan Oezdemir, right, during their weigh-in the night before their Ultimate Fighting Championship bout Friday, Jan. 19, 2018, in Boston. UFC president Dana White stands between the fighters. (AP Photo/Stephan Savoia)BOSTON — UFC is back in Boston.The top MMA promotion returned to TD Garden Saturday night with the heavyweight and light heavyweight belts on the line on the same card for the first time since 2003.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year LATEST STORIES Stipe Miocic (17-2) looks to set a UFC heavyweight division record with a third straight successful title defense when he fights Francis Ngannou (11-1). The 31-year-old Ngannou hasn’t needed to go beyond the first round in any of his last four bouts and has never gone past the second in his 12 pro fights. Ngannou fights just seven weeks after his stunning victory of Alistair Overeem at UFC 218.Daniel Cormier (19-1) defends the light heavyweight title against Switzerland’s Volkan Oezdemir (15-1).FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkUFC held its fifth card at TD Garden, the first since 2016, and the company said the arena was sold out. View comments
Liberians and foreign residents from all walks of life have described the condition of Monrovia’s open drainages as unhealthy and a sanitation nightmare.The golden promise made by Public Works Minister William Gyude Moore some time ago that Monrovia’s drainages will be maintained under his Ministry, is now comfortably on what some residents call “perpetual ice.”During a midday tour of central Monrovia and its environs on Tuesday, it was visible that a majority, if not all sections of the uncovered drainages are clogged, with grass growing wild in some of them.To make matters worse, residents on some streets and in communities in Monrovia that over the years built houses and other structures on the borders of the open drainage system have installed pipes projecting into the drainages to dispose of waste from their bathrooms. This is in addition to residents throwing their household and business garbage into the drains on a daily basis.The practice of disposing such waste into the open drains have greatly contributed to the unsanitary condition of many of Monrovia’s rural and urban settlements such as Bushrod Island, Duala, Old Road, Buzzy Quarter, Soneiwein and many more.Such behaviour on the part of residents in Central Monrovia, is gravely contributing to the city’s endless sanitation crises.The health of residents of the communities near the open, clogged drainages is constantly in serious danger of any disease outbreak. The bush, garbage, plastic, sewer and other waste stagnating in the structures create the perfect breeding ground for water and air borne disease carriers such as flies, mosquitoes, rats, cockroaches, wild spiders, scorpions and more. The bushy grass already growing in some of the clogged drainages have escalated the problem of stagnation and hindered the free flow of water through these structures. A few months ago, Public Works Minister William Gyude Moore told a team of Daily Observer reporters that a well-designed plan was afoot to clean Monrovia’s clogged drainages during the just ended dry season.That cardinal promise by Minister Moore is yet to be seen as the rainy season has already started in earnest. In Monrovia and Paynesville, one would be hard pressed to find anyone who is not intensely critical about the unsanitary, offensive and unacceptable conditions prevailing in most communities. Everywhere this reporter went residents, business people, school authorities and many others who share the common space through which the drainage systems run, described it as a sanitation crisis and an unending nightmare.Mr. Fineboy B. Dennis, 38, of United Nations Drive told this newspaper that the drainage system needs to be redesigned and structured to give for central Monrovia a better look.“I would like to suggest that the drainages be rebuilt and they cover all the openings in order to minimize the offensive odors and spread of disease in our city,” Mr. Dennis stressed.Resident Boima K. Fallah, 42, of Lynch Street noted that the Ministry of Public Works Sanitation and Environmental team should rise to the occasion and carry out its statutory responsibilities.“I want Minister Gyude Moore and all his principal deputies to leave the comfort of their offices and see firsthand the deplorable state of our drainages in the city this rainy season,” Mr. Fallah challenged.Resident Washington G. Ngumbu, 48, of Randall Street stressed that self-help initiatives and the enforcement of zoning laws would deter the wanton disposal of garbage into the already clogged drainages in Monrovia.“We as residents and business people of our various communities must get involved in the collection and disposal of garbage and other waste,” Mr. Ngumbu stressed.Used clothes dealer Elizabeth K. Blama, 54, of Red-Light Gobachop Market, called on the Paynesville City Corporation (PCC) to intensify the collection and disposal of garbage.“We are aware of the enormous challenges of the PCC in its garbage collection and disposal drive, but I want to appeal to our PCC leaders to develop a sustainable garbage collection and disposal mechanism at Gobachop Market,” Madam Blama pleaded.Waterside businesswoman Mary B. Morrison told the Daily Observer that the market has become a haven for air and water diseases because of uncollected garbage.“We are now used to selling in the stench and squalor because we have no other choice but to continue finding our daily bread here at this stinking place,” Madam Morrison lamented.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The body of a bandit was found in an advanced state of decomposition on Wednesday in an abandoned house at Savannah Park, New Amsterdam, Berbice.Dead is Leroy Husbands. He was found in the living room of the house lying face down. Reports are that on Tuesday, residents in the area reported a foul stench coming from the house.However, on Wednesday morning, residents decided to investigate. It was then the discovery was made.Residents explained that in recent days, Husbands was seen going into the abandoned house.Two weeks ago, he was discharged from the New Amsterdam Hospital after being admitted.Husbands is known by the Police and has been convicted for several robberies and brake and enters. The most recent was the 2015 robbery of M Ali Supermarket at Main and Pope Streets, New Amsterdam.The body was taken to the Stanleytown Cemetery since the funeral home refused to house the body due to the advanced state of decomposition. (Andrew Carmichael)
Diamond gas explosion– GGMC to commence works by MondayThe Ministry of Public Infrastructure (MoPI) has commenced the exercise of cleaning up the residences at Fifth and Sixth Avenue, Diamond, East Bank Demerara, where a resident of the community had dug a well that resulted in an eruption of mud, water and methane gas, causing damage to several homes in the area.Clean-up works onging in DiamondThe clean-up works, expected to last for approximately two days, are being undertaken in an effort to give access to the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) and the Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) teams who will be working to recap the well.Lieutenant Latchman Persaud of the National Emergency Operations System of the Civil Defence Commission (CDC), who is overseeing the clean-up exercise, said it is expected that recapping works, expected to last between two and three weeks, can commence on Monday. He noted that all materials have already been procured and are on the ground.Mitchell Prince, Senior Petroleum Analyst of the GGMC, said the plan is to run two sizes of casing into the ground where the well has been dug. “It is the reverse of drilling a well. The hole is already there, it is now to put the casings in and seal it off. We are going to use 18-inch casings on the outside and 14 inch diameter casings on the inside. This would be sealed around with concrete, and there will be a valve. During the process of construction, the valve will be left open in order to vent and release the pressures. When you are finished sealing up, then you can close the valve,” he said.The gas detection within the area remains low, and has been constrained within the property; as such, a safe zone has been established.Director General of the CDC, Lieutenant Colonel Kester Craig, has said the Guyana Fire Service (GFS) has agreed to assist the affected neighbours in their clean-up efforts.The Commission is also reminding persons that permits must be obtained from the Hydrometeorological Office to conduct such drillings.“If you are drilling wells, you must receive permits from the Hydrometeorological Office, because you can have situations like this, (which) threaten your life, your neighbours’ lives, and other people around you. You have to be careful and follow the rules. If you don’t, you are going to put people’s lives at jeopardy,” Colonel Craig admonished.
The El Rancho High School boys soccer team enjoyed an incredible run during the Del Rio League sseason. The Dons won seven of their first eight games before winning the league title with an 8-2 mark. But El Rancho wasn’t dealt any favors by the CIF-Southern Section, which released pairings for its divisional playoffs on Monday. The Dons, one of eight area schools which will compete in the tournament, finished the regular season 13-8-1 and drew a tough draw. It that includes a home game against Warren in the first round on Saturday with a possible matchup against second-seeded Bellflower in the second round. The tournament begins Wednesday with wild-card games. The first round is scheduled for Saturday with the championship-round matchups set for March 2-3. “I don’t know too many teams, since I’ve been out of coaching for a few years (before coming back this season),” Picon said. “But I don’t think there are any real standout teams. From what I can see, the rankings have fluctuated quite a bit. That tells me the division features a lot of parity.” Schurr (6-6-8) drew top-seeded Long Beach Wilson (22-1-4) in the first round of the Division I bracket. Also in Division I, Montebello (15-6-3) drew traditional power St. Francis (24-4). St. Paul (10-8-3), which beat St. Monica in a Camino Real League tie-breaker game on Saturday, plays a Division VI wild-card game at Redlands Adventist Academy on Wednesday. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3061 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “We didn’t have a good record for a league champion,” El Rancho coach Dominic Picon said of his team’s draw. “Considering our record, (the draw) is to be expected. Any team with a record like ours is not going to get a high seed. “I don’t feel bad about it. I’m comfortable with it.” El Rancho is one of five area teams in the Division III bracket. Another intriguing first-round matchup in the division features Santa Fe (11-10-2), which finished second in the Del Rio League, at La Mirada (19-5-1), the No. 2 team from the Suburban League. La Habra (23-5-1), which finished second in the Freeway League, will host the winner of a wild-card game between Arcadia and Lakewood Cabrillo. California (11-8-1) hosts Anaheim (14-3-3) in a wild-card game on Wednesday. If the Condors advance, they travel to Diamond Ranch (11-2-5).
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal reflected on the most satisfactory performance of his Old Trafford reign after comfortably beating Hull 3-0 at Old Trafford.United completely outplayed the visiting Tigers as they eased to victroy with goals from Chris Smalling, Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie.The result means United have won three successive league games for the first time since the Dutch boss took charge in the summer.Van Gaal said: “It is the first match that we have dominated the game from the first minute until the last minute and in a way that I like.“We knew already in advance that Hull would come probably with five defenders and a full midfield. We have trained to play the ball quick and we did it but also we didn’t give too many unnecessary balls away.“So that was also an improvement on the Arsenal match. I was very pleased with the performance and the result and I have told the players that.“We had great creative moments in the game and the creation of the chances.”Van Gaal was also pleased to see his countryman Van Persie back on the scoresheet after a week of heavy criticism following his lacklustre display in last weekend’s 2-1 victory at Arsenal.Van Gaal said: “Every striker needs a goal. When you haven’t scored in the last two or three matches you need a goal.“I am very pleased and happy for him that he scored but I am sure he can play better than he did today.”
Donegal boxer Jason Quigley has powered his way to a guaranteed medal at the World Boxing Championships.Jason is through to last 4 in World Championships.The Ballybofey man was all action in his quarter final bout against Zoltan Harcsa from Hungary.Despite knocking his man down at the start of the second round with a neat combination, the 22 year old Finn Valley boxer was forced to work all the way for his win. He entered the third and final round leading by just two points on a score of 20 to 18.But Quigley managed to wear his opponent down in the final round and eventually won on a scoreline of 30 to 27.A delighted Quigley saluted the crowd as he secured himself a medal and a place in the semi-final.The Donegal hard-hitter said he was delighted with his win. “It’s a massive achievement for me. I wanted to keep the record (31 wins) going.“The aim was not to complicate things. I had a game plan of two or three things to do and when the first thing started working I just stuck with it.“I caught him with a lovely right hand in the second round and he went down. From there on the important thing was not to panic, so I didn’t rush in to try and finish it.“It’s a three-round fight and If he clips me and I go down, then it’s party over. You have to be careful and smart and I think that’s what I was today.”The victory in Alamaty marked Quigley’s 31st straight victory since moving to middleweight and he will now take on Russia’s Artem Chebotarev in the semi-final on Friday. QUIGLEY POWERS HIS WAY TO A MEDAL AT WORLD BOXING CHAMPIONSHIPS was last modified: October 23rd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:boxingJason QuigleymedalWorld Championships
Scott Parker makes his first Fulham appearance in seven months after Sakari Mattila pulled out at the last minute.The Whites skipper, who hasn’t played since April, was initially named on the bench.But he was promoted to the starting line-up when Mattila, who was originally one of three changes from the side that drew at MK Dons, withdrew with a back injury.Ross McCormack, Ryan Fredericks, Richard Stearman, Tom Cairney and Jamie O’Hara all came through fitness tests.Ryan Tunnicliffe misses out with injury, Tim Ream starts at centre-back in place of Dan Burn while James Husband, available again after suspension, replaces Luke Garbutt at left-back.Preston make two changes, with Bailey Wright suspended and Calum Woods out with injury.Fit-again captain Tom Clarke replaces Wright, while Marnick Vermijl plays at right wing-back.Fulham: Lewis; Fredericks, Stearman, Ream, Husband; O’Hara; Parker, Kavanagh; Cairney; McCormack, Dembele. Subs: Rodak, Voser, Garbutt, Hutchinson, Pringle, Smith, Woodrow.Preston: Pickford; Clarke, Huntington, Cunningham; Vermijl, Browne, Gallagher, Johnson, Reach; Garner, Doyle. Subs: Kirkland, Davies, Kilkenny, Welsh, Hugill, Keane, May.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Click here if you are having trouble viewing the slideshow on a mobile device.OAKLAND — It wasn’t quite full-on panic mode pregame in the A’s clubhouse, but the mood was a little more tight. Entering the night losers of three in a row for the first time in nearly two months, they needed a game like this.With the Tampa Bay Rays already winning earlier in the day, the A’s (91-61) were in danger of seeing their lead for the second AL wild-card shrink even further. But an offensive explosion that …