Mattocks confident Boyz will ‘get the job done’

first_imgDarren Mattocks, who plays centre forward for Jamaica’s senior men’s national football team and scored in their 3-2 loss to Nicaragua in the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers last Friday, believes all is not lost and the Reggae Boyz will bounce back. The 25-year-old netted in the first leg and has now scored 11 goals overall for Jamaica. He might just be thinking that his biggest test for his country could be tomorrow night. “To get back two goals, that’s definitely something we are going to build on and move forward. I am pretty confident we will learn and make all corrections and go to Nicaragua and get the job done,” he pointed out in a post-game interview late Friday night. Mattocks reasoned that the result would be seen as very disappointing by the Jamaican people, but maintained that the visitors played well, amid suggestions that the Reggae Boyz underestimated them or put in a lacklustre performance. SOMETHING TO LEARN FROM “I wouldn’t say we underestimated them, to be honest. Sometimes we don’t know what teams are capable of doing until we play them, and that’s what happened here tonight (Friday). I think they played well and surprised us. Many wouldn’t expect them to come into Kingston and defeat us, but it’s something that we learn from and we will continue growing,” he said. Tomorrow night inside the Estadio Nacional stadium in Managua, Jamaica must win or face elimination from yet another FIFA World Cup Qualifying campaign. Getting a positive result in the return leg, Mattocks says, begins with thinking positive and working as a team. “They (Nicaragua) have got a good set of players, and they attack as a team, so that’s where their goals came from. Now we know that’s how they play, so now we are going to make all corrections and go forward,” he stressed. The player added that the upset was a lesson for the Reggae Boyz, “who have come a long way”, adding they are determined to continue. The match will kick off tomorrow night at 8:30 p.m.last_img read more

Man United plotting move for uner-fire Bale, Chelsea in for Saints star – paper review

first_imgHere’s the top transfer-related stories in Monday’s newspapers…Manchester United are on red alert over Gareth Bale after Real Madrid were plunged into a full-blown crisis. Real crashed 4-0 to Barcelona in El Clasico and Bale received heavy criticism for his display. Now United are ready to make a move for the former Tottenham star. (The Sun)Manuel Lanzini, on loan at West Ham from Al Jazira Club, says it is “an honour” for him to be linked with a permanent move to Liverpool. (Independent)Chelsea are ready to enter the race for Sadio Mane. The champions are big admirers of the 23-year-old Senegalese forward who played a key role in Southampton’s 3-1 win over them last month. Mane, who scored in that match, is already being coveted by Manchester United and has scored six times in 17 games so far this season. (Daily Mirror)But Southampton are hoping they can tie Sadio Mane down to a new deal despite the interest from elsewhere. (Daily Express)Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp wants Lazio midfielder Lucas Biglia but is set to face competition from Manchester United for his signature. (Fichajes)Jesse Lingard is in line for bumper double-your-money talks on a new Manchester United contract. Lingard and his representatives have been invited to open negotiations on a fresh deal as a reward for breaking into the first team and being called up to Roy Hodgson’s England squad  (Daily Mirror)Robin van Persie is close to leaving Fenerbahce for a return to Holland with Feyenoord. (Daily Express)Arsenal’s Gedion Zelalem looks set to extend his stay on loan at Rangers until the end of the season. (Metro)last_img read more