Region 10 officials call for more welfare officers

first_img…says 2 officers insufficient for 63 schoolsEducation officials in Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) have continued calls for additional welfare officers to be placed in the Region, noting that the two officers who are presently assigned are incapable of managing 63 schools, along with two additional institutions.Region 10 Chairman Renis MorianThe calls were mounted at the hosting of this month’s Regional Democratic Council (RDC) meeting, where Region 10 Chairman Renis Morian, Councillors and an Education Department official voiced their opinions on the issue.District Education Officer (Secondary) Sonia Fraser-Pearce, who was at the time representing the Regional Education official, was asked by the Regional Chairman what she believed was the ideal number of officers needed to properly service Upper Demerara-Berbice. In her response, she noted that there were presently 63 schools (nursery, primary and secondary) across the Region and there should be at least six welfare officers, as she pointed out that the welfare office of the Region was presently “grossly understaffed”.“Presently, we have just two officers, who are trying their utmost and sometimes, they are stressed to the max…In addition to that, they are required to visit both hospitals and deal with the issues at the hospitals. So, they have approximately 65 institutions to deal with on a daily basis. And so, sometimes, it is really hard on them to get the work done. Sometimes, transportation is not available; sometimes, money is not available, and so they can’t move as they ought to,” Fraser-Pearce said.According to Morian, there are issues at schools, which should have already been solved but are still reoccurring. It was highlighted that the two officers were also responsible for schools in outlying areas such as Kimbia, Rockstone, and Kwakwani.Further, Morian asked what role the Probation Department plays in lending support, to which Fraser-Pearce responded, “not much”. She went on to explain that there was support for truancy campaigns and such, but otherwise, there was no support.“If they have their programmes to visit schools and do what they have to do that’s it, but to give us that support through the Welfare, no,” she explained.Councillor Gordon Callender stressed that he would have raised the issue last year, noting that two officers were insufficient. He asked for a letter to be sent to the Social Protection Ministry so that the Welfare Department and the Ministry could work in close collaboration. He further highlighted issues with truancy in Linden, noting that had there been adequate staff this may not have occurred.last_img read more

Diamond hospital dogged by drug shortage, other issues

first_img– Opposition MPs to demand answers from Health Minister in ParliamentA visit by members of the Parliamentary Sectoral Committee on Social Services to the East Demerara Regional Hospital, commonly known as the Diamond hospital, on Thursday, April 6, has led to the discovery of shortages of drugs and medical supplies, along with a host of other serious issues.Head of the Parliamentary Sectoral Committee on Social Services, Dr Vindhya Persaud makes a point during a discussion with Medical Superintendent at the Diamond Hospital, Dr Maitee Camacho and other senior hospital staff on ThursdayThe team comprised Opposition Members of Parliament (MPs) Dr Vindhya Persaud, Dr Vishawa Mahadeo, Indranie Chandarpaul and Alister Charlie. Government MPs were not present.The visit lasted for several hours as the MPs had detailed discussions with management and hospital staff about the challenges and successes at that facility.Cuban national and Medical Superintendent, Dr Maitee Camacho, told the media that the facility was currently under construction, as they were trying to create more space.While explaining that there was adequate staff to carry out the daily required functions, Dr Camacho noted that space was becoming more limited, especially with the increased number of patients who visit the hospital on a daily basis.She said although the population in Diamond is approximately 80,000, patients from many other distant communities were treated at the facility for various conditions and medical issues.In instances where their cases are extremely serious, patients are referred to the Georgetown Public Hospital. But this has been reduced over the past year, owing to several institutional changes.“We do not do deliveries here. All the complicated deliveries need to go to GPHC [Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation] or the orthopaedic and neurosurgeon cases go there too. In the future, I don’t want to refer patients to the hospital, but at the moment we cannot handle all cases,” she explained.Dr Camacho admitted that there was also a drug shortage at the hospital and gave reasons for this.“We have some issues with MMU [the Materials Management Unit]; they don’t have all the drugs. It is true. For in-patient and some drugs for emergency we don’t have….At this moment, we don’t have insulin,” she declared.Another issue raised by the Medical Superintendent was the fact that the facility lacked basic equipment, particularly in the x-ray department and the medical laboratory.Staffers also complained that all laboratory tests were currently being referred to the Georgetown Public Hospital and, in most instances, it took two to three days before the results were returned.Dr Persaud, who heads the Sectoral Committee, said based on Thursday’s visit, she has recognised that while most doctors were eager to work, they were frustrated by the many shortages.“Things like sterile gloves, medication, injectables. There are many shortages here. So many that they are frustrated because they see their patients suffering. One doctor lamented that he was not able to control his hypertensive and diabetic patients because he can’t treat them.”The Opposition MP told the media that the public was, therefore, left to suffer, primarily because not everyone could afford to purchase their own drugs.“What you have is complications, because if you have chronic hypertensive and diabetic patients, you are looking at things like renal failure, cardiac disease, and your eyes. All these things are affected. So, if people are prolonged uncontrolled, and you know Guyana is made up primarily of hypertensive and diabetics, then you are looking at a serious problem.”Meanwhile, Dr Persaud highlighted the fact that the hospital was currently without an administrator and that responsibility has now been shifted to a doctor which, in her view, was unacceptable.“As you see, there is construction, and many decisions to be made and things to be addressed. If you don’t have an administrator, how are you going to properly function? And you are taking hours from that doctor delivering health care,” she lamented.The Parliamentary Sectoral Committee has already visited the New Amsterdam Hospital, where drug shortages were discovered also. The Committee plans to visit Linden, Suddie and Georgetown Hospitals soon.At the conclusion of these visits, the Parliamentary Sectoral Committee will compile a comprehensive report and have it submitted to Parliament with recommendations and for further discussion.It plans to summon Public Health Minister Volda Lawrence to answer for the poor conditions and other issues facing these and other health institutions across the country.last_img read more

3 Wheeler Found

first_imgThe Fort St. John RCMP have found a yellow 3 wheel ATV.The ATV is in fair condition and the RCMP are asking for your help to locate the owner. The owner may claim their ATV after properly identifying it or providing documention of ownership.Contact the RCMP at 250-787-8140- Advertisement –last_img

Exclusive – Liverpool hero questions £20m Lovren fee

first_imgFormer Liverpool defender Mark Wright has questioned whether Anfield-bound Dejan Lovren is worth the reported £20million they are expected to pay Southampton.The Croatian international centre-back has been linked with a move away from St Mary’s all summer and he is now set to join Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert who swapped the South Coast for Merseyside earlier in the transfer window.And while he concedes the Liverpool defence is an area which needs strengthening, he isn’t sure the 25-year-old is worth the money Brendan Rodgers is set to spend.Wright told the Weekend Sports Breakfast: “Dejan Lovren looks a decent enough player and if there is one position Liverpool needed to address [it’s centre-back].“They concede too many goals from set-pieces last season and they conceded a lot of silly goals, if they hadn’t the title might have been theirs and probably should have been theirs. And they’re addressing that by getting this lad in.“Is he the answer? Time will tell but one thing I do know is that Brendan Rodgers is very thorough. The most important thing is shutting the backdoor and they’ve gone for this lad, but for one good season £20million seems a heck of a lot of money.”last_img read more

DDTV VIDEO: OH WHAT A ‘MESSI’ – DONEGAL BUSINESSMAN BLOWS €25,000 ON MAN UTD BET

first_imgTHERE’S just no counting for blind loyalty, but it cost one Letterkenny business €25,000 at the weekend….in a bet on Manchester United!And bookies across the county bagged a small fortune as Donegal’s legions of Man Utd fans took advantage of ‘generous’ odds on their side’s European Cup clash with Barcelona at Wembley. The well-known Letterkenny businessman couldn’t resist odds of 7/4….standing to pocket almost €19,000 if United had won.That was despite almost everyone else in the world tipping Barcelona to win the Champions League Final.In a Wembley stadium with ‘home’ fans far outnumbering Catalan followers, United could manage just 37 percent possession, muster only one shot on goal and not earn a single corner, so much did they fall under the spell of Lionel Messi, Xavi, Andres Iniesta and their supporting cast.It was an incredible display of football by a team which will surely dominate European football for years to come. Today a close friend of the Letterkenny businessman who lost the fortune, told donegaldaily: “He’s just sick….and he’s taking a fair bit of stick over it as well.“He also made the mistake of telling everyone about his ‘great bet’ but anyone who knows anything about gambling knew Barcelona were going to eat Man United alive on Saturday.”DDTV VIDEO: OH WHAT A ‘MESSI’ – DONEGAL BUSINESSMAN BLOWS €25,000 ON MAN UTD BET was last modified: June 18th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BarcelonaChampions LeaguegamblingletterkennyManchester Unitedlast_img read more

Chelsea and Arsenal given hope as Juventus move for wonderkid is far from done

first_img Santos striker Gabriel Barbosa Chelsea and Arsenal have been given a boost in their pursuit of Gabriel Barbosa after the Santos president insisted Juventus’ move for ‘Gabigol’ is far from done.Reports in Italy have suggested that Juve are on the verge of announcing the signing of the prodigious Brazilian striker, following the arrival of Gonzalo Higuain.That news had come as a blow to both Arsenal and Chelsea, who are both hoping to bring the 19-year-old hotshot to the Premier League.But the London pair have been given fresh hope after it emerged that Juve still have much work to do if they want to conclude a deal for Barbosa.Santos president Modesto Roma told UOL Esporte: “I have received a proposal, but it is just the first offer and it’s still early.”Although, part of the hold up in the potential move is due to a dispute over the player’s ownership, according to the Gazzetta dello Sport.As is common with young Brazilian talent, Gabigol is not owned outright by his club – with Santos owning just 40 per cent of the player and his parents laying claim to another 40 per cent of their son.His representatives Doyen Sports own the remaining 20 per cent and it has been reported that it is this financial split which is making any deal complicated. 1last_img read more

MAN FOUND ASLEEP IN CAR WITH A BAG OF DRUGS

first_imgGardai found a young Castlefin man asleep in a car with a large bag of drugs at his feet.Letterkenny Court.Ruairi Holmes was found by Gardai at Bonagee on the outskirts of Letterkenny on April 20th, 2013. They had been alerted to him after he narrowly swerved to miss an off-duty detective.He had a strong smell of alcohol off his breath, had two small bags of cannabis in the car and upon a further search, a bag containing 300 tablets was found in the footwell of the car.The 23 year old was taken to Letterkenny Garda station and the drugs were later examined and found to be diazepam, Falcarragh District Court was told yesterday.Solicitor for Holmes, of 34 Hillhead, Castlefin, said it was not a case that his client was selling the drugs for commercial gain.Kieran Dillon said the acccused and his friends had been partying and they pooled their money together to get the tablets.Holmes went and got the drugs which cost 50p each in Northern Ireland.Mr Dillon said his client had turned his life completely around and had not come to the attention of the Gardai for more than 18 months.He was now a stable-hand at a premises in Co Fermanagh who had shown to have a considerable talent in “breaking horses.”He had actually taken ground close to his home in Castlefinn and broke horses there at weekends.He asked Judge Kelly to allow his client to continue to stay on the straight and narrow.“I appreciate you have to punish but can you do so in a way that will allow him to continue to reform,” asked Mr Dillon.The court heard that Holmes had a considerable number of previous convictions for a range of offenses including burglary, assault causing harm and the possession of drugs.Judge Kelly thanked Mr Dillon for his elegant submission but said he had concerns about Holmes.“I am concerned that on a number of occasions community service was imposed and it hasn’t prevented him from reoffending,” he said.He sought a report form the probation service and adjourned the case until March 18th.MAN FOUND ASLEEP IN CAR WITH A BAG OF DRUGS was last modified: January 22nd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:castlefinndonegaldrugsRuairi Holmeslast_img read more

IT’S ALL SYSTEMS GO FOR THE BALLYLIFFIN COASTAL CHALLENGE

first_imgIt’s all systems go for the Ballyliffin Coastal Challenge.Technical t-shirts have arrived and entries pouring in either directly to Ballyliffin Post Office or by email to ballyliffincoastalchallenge@gmail.com or download entry form on visitballyliffin .com Large numbers of walkers and joggers are preparing for the challenge aided by beautiful weather with many coming from various parts of Ireland and England .Primary school children on their Easter break are reminded that the 1k beach run is at 2-30pm – simply turn up and away you go with a fun family day in store.It all happens on April 7th at 2pm, Easter Saturday, with registration open in Ballyliffin Hotel at 11am.IT’S ALL SYSTEMS GO FOR THE BALLYLIFFIN COASTAL CHALLENGE was last modified: March 28th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ballyliffin coastal challengelast_img read more

SHAY GIVEN SET FOR ANFIELD IN LIVERPOOL SWITCH

first_imgDONEGAL soccer star Shay Given is set to add Liverpool Football Club to his CV.Several Merseyside news reports say the Lifford man will be at Anfield today for Liverpool’s clash with Manchester United ahead of completing a move to be the Reds No2 keeper.Brendan Rodgers wants Given’s experience as back up to new keeper Simon Mignolet. Shay has been told he is no longer wanted at Aston Villa and it looked as though he was on his way to Doncaster Rovers.However the 37-year-old looks set to move to Liverpool, and will probably feature in the side’s Cup matches through the season.It’s understood he may also be offered a goalkeeper coaching role as part of the deal.  SHAY GIVEN SET FOR ANFIELD IN LIVERPOOL SWITCH was last modified: September 1st, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Aston VillaLiverpoolShay Givenlast_img read more

NAOMH CONAILL U13 GIRLS DOMINATE AT HARVEST FAIR BLITZ

first_imgNaomh Conaill U13 GirlsNaomh Conaill U13 Girls yesterday won the Glenties Harvest Fair Blitz.The girls defeated Glenswilly 5.09 to 3.01 in the first game.St.Nauls defeated Glenswilly 1.07 to 0.01. In the final, Naomh Conaill won on a scoreline of 5.08 to 0.01.Captain Tara Black was presented with the Cup by Harvest Fair Committee Member Poggy O Donnell.Naomh Conaill were under the management of Sean Connaughton, Gerard O Donnell, Caroline Boyle Carr, and Poggy ODonnell.NAOMH CONAILL U13 GIRLS DOMINATE AT HARVEST FAIR BLITZ was last modified: September 8th, 2013 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:blitzGLENTIES HARVEST FAIRNaomh Conailllast_img read more